Spinakopita Recipe from my Mother-in-law. I love Easter because I get to eat this!
2 small or 1 large pkg. of Spinach (washed, dried, cut)
1 16 oz container Cottage Cheese
1 lb. Feta Cheese (crumbled)
8-10 Eggs (scrambled)
1 tblsp finely chopped Onion
1 pkg Phyllo Dough (room temperature)
3/4 lb. Butter (melted) -- I use only 2 sticks
11 x 14 Pan or Large Pita Pan buttered
1. Mix first 5 ingredients together.
2. Butter pan, Lay down approximately 6-8 layers of Phyllo Dough buttering in between.
3. Add Spinach mixture- then more Phyllo Dough...
You should have enough filling for three Spinach layers. Keep approximately 6-8 Phyllo layers for your topping, always buttering in between each layer.
4. Roll and Tuck edges. Butter the edges and top layer.
5. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees F.
*We usually have boiled dyed eggs, Greek Bread + Plain Yogurt, Lamb, Greek Salad + Greek Olives + Feta Cheese, & Rice Pudding, to complete the Pita meal.
A Guide to Greek Cuisine: History, Cheeses, Appetizers, Meat Dishes and Sweets (Google Ad)